Friday, November 29, 2013

Choosing your Companion

This past November I didn't take the time to write everyday what I'm thankful for but if I could just choose one thing it would be that I'm thankful for companions, it's never fun to be alone!! Every thanksgiving we get to sit with our loved ones, eat dinner and enjoy or time together and I love it. Being around everyone is the best feeling ever.

All growing up, Sunday was our family day, we'd go over to grandma and grandpa's and we'd all have a fancy dinner that grandma prepared for us. we'd talk laugh and Love. It went on for many years until my grandma was diagnosed with cancer, believe me she wasn't ready to stop serving Sunday dinner but we all new that we needed to give her a rest. My grandma was so giving to all she knew, she was strong and fought for her life everyday but eventually that cancer took over and that sweet lady was welcomed to the other side as we all watched take her last breath. There were many tears, but the person that seemed the strongest was her one true love, grandpa. He had to be, to show his companion's children that it was okay and we'd all be with her again one day.

A few years after my grandma passed away, I had turned 18 and my grandpa gave me the option move out of my house and live with him, I jumped at the offer, I wanted to move out to experience being away from home and I wanted to give my grandpa company. I don't know how much company I really was though, I spent a lot of time with friends. My grandpa spent his evenings reading the newspaper or watching specials on tv, at  930 and I'd see him read his scriptures and go to bed. He was going through the motions of everyday life but he was missing something he had always had; a companion, a friend, someone to talk to and someone for him to be with all the time. 

One day grandpa announced he was ready to start dating again, he'd go on a few dates every so often until the day he came home with a smile on his face and told us about this nice lady he had met, he took her out to Texas road house and they had hit it off and had talked for a real long time. From then on it seemed that my grandpa has much more of a life then I ever did! He seemed to never be home when I was and he'd even come home later then me! I had to remind him that 11:00 was way past his curfew ;) haha, he was a lot happier, I very rarely saw him sitting  quietly in front Of the tv anymore and he seemed to have a new glow with him :) not long after they met, my grandpa asked Sharon to become his companion for the  rest of his life and she said yes! They had a beautiful wedding in April of 2012. And I'm so thankful for Sharon and the happiness she has brought to my grandpa.

Watching my grandpa has made me thankful for the chance to choose who we want to be with, we choose who makes us happy and who we want to spend the most time with and I think that is such a specail opportunity!

Until next time,
Peace out Boy Scout :)


No comments:

Post a Comment